Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Eight Months Into Mission

We are starting to focus on a neighborhood that is close to the church but a lot of the people work, so they aren´t home during the week...but this is what you have to do when you´ve knocked every street in the other neighborhood (that´s what 6 months in one area will do to you.) We´re hoping to have success with a social class that´s a little wealthier.

Funny story...I got proposed to this week and he wasn´t drunk or joking. I was doing a street contact with a man when he interrupted me and asked if I was dating anyone. Random...but showed that he clearly wasn´t interested in the gospel. I invited him to come to church and he invited me to marry him.

This past week, the branch had an activity to celebrate "Festa Julina" It´s a festa (party) that should take place in June, but the ward wasn´t ready in June, so it got postponed to July. I´m not exactly sure what the history is behind the festa...it has something to do with a wedding at a fazenda (farm). So in the photos you can see the costumes that they use and they had tradicional food. The missionaries didn´t get to eat anything because even though the activity started at 7:30 the food wasn´t ready when we left a little after 9 pm. They performed some dances and I got to film them. Ward activities are something we missionaries love. It´s an instant way for investigators to get to know members in a laid back setting without having to worry about fitting in. I love the Brazilian culture and the people here who love having get togethers...reminds me of Polynesians.

The chapel got a deep cleaning this Saturday. Cleaning the church is super different here in Brazil because the buildings are made differently. There´s no carpet and no wallpaper...which meant water gets thrown everywhere and the members just have at it. I was put in charge of cleaning the walls. The walls are textured concrete so I got to scrub and scrub and scrub. Other members were taking down curtains to wash, trimming bushes, and in general flooding the corredors with water. It was super fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment