Friday, September 4, 2009

Because I don't speak Portuguese...

My mom purchased an intense Franklin translator for me to take to Brazil. It is lighter and smaller than having to heft around a Portuguese/English dictionary which is nice, but that doesn't mean I will be whipping it out while talking with the Brazilians...I want to @ least look like I understand what they're saying. 
Here are some phrases that were programmed into the translator and I will probably use on a daily basis :) 
Tenho tempo para lanchar?- Do I have time to go get a snack?
Poderia me trazer um moedor de pimenta, por favor?- Could you bring a pepper mill, please?
Tenho passaporte belga.- I have a Belgian passport
Pode-se dançar aqui?- Is there dancing here?
Bebi água que não- I drank water that was not boiled

What's going to be hardest for me is the fact that I speak a decent amount of Spanish. Portuguese looks like Spanish when written out...but sounds NOTHING like it. Personally I think it sounds more French. So I'm going to have to forget 7 years of Spanish classes and try to learn Portuguese in 2 months! 

"I tell you these things because of your prayers; wherefore, treasure up wisdom in your bosoms, lest the wickedness of men reveal these things unto you by their wickedness, in a manner which shall speak in your ears with a voice louder than that which shall shake the earth; but if ye are prepared ye shall not fear."

I've been studying the "Preach My Gospel" lessons so that I will @ least be able to teach in English and I am learning all I can about Brazil. I know that as long as I do my part, Heavenly Father will do his. Gift of tongues, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment